Neil J. Convery

Title

Neil J. Convery

Subject

Birth Date

1890

Birthplace

New York City, New York, USA

Death Date

1966

Occupation

Architect

Biographical Text

Born in New York City, Neil J. Convery attended evening schools to gain his architectural education and then began individual practice in 1916. He maintained his independent office until 1955, when he changed the name to Office of Neil J. Connery, a name which endured until 1960. By the time of the 1962 American Architects Directory he was noting a partnership with James Harnack and Michael Trotta. A continuing thread found in Convery's early and late work is the number of Catholic Church commissions, including St. Lucy's Church (1925-1926) and Our Lady of Good Counsel School and Rectory (1957 and 1959), all in Newark, NJ.
Convery served on the New Jersey State Board of Architects and the Newark Board of Standards and Appeals. He was also Technical Director for the National Housing Agency and Chief Architectural Supervisor for the Federal Housing Administration and served as Executive Director for the Newark (NJ) Housing Authority.

Written by Sandra L. Tatman.

(https://www.philadelphiabuildings.org/pab/app/ar_display.cfm/1146642)

Tags

Citation

“Neil J. Convery,” DANA, accessed July 25, 2024, https://dana.njit.edu/items/show/397.

Output Formats

Item Relations

This Item creator of Item: St. Lucy's Roman Catholic Church
This Item creator of Item: St. Rocco's Roman Catholic Church

Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /afs/cad.njit.edu/research/archlib/gervits/1/plugins/Carta/CartaPlugin.php on line 122