St. Rocco's Roman Catholic Church
St. Rocco’s Roman Catholic Church is one of three Italian/Mediterranean churches by Newark architect Neil J. Convery; the other two are St. Lucy’s and Sacred Heart. It is one of the few full-domed churches in Newark. Convery's design of the church was guided by Father Umberto Donati, St. Rocco’s parish priest from 1916-1941. Donati wanted the church modeled after St. Balsius Church in Lendinara, Italy, where Donati had studied 40 years prior. The church has Classical, Byzantine, and Italian influences, reminiscent of Venetian churches.
Gordon, Mark W., and Anthony Schuman, editors. Newark Landmark Treasures: A Guide to the Landmark Buildings, Parks, Public Art & Historic Districts in New Jersey’s Metropolis. Newark Preservation and Landmarks Committee, 2016, p. 58.National Register of Historic Places, St. Rocco's Roman Catholic Church, Newark, Essex County, New Jersey, National Register #80002487
|Item: Neil J. Convery||creator of||This Item|
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /afs/cad.njit.edu/research/archlib/gervits/1/plugins/Carta/CartaPlugin.php on line 122