Four Corners Historic District


Dublin Core

Title

Four Corners Historic District

Description

The Four Corners Historic District covers about 27 blocks, and 85 acres. It is centered around the two most prominent streets in Newark, Broad and Market Streets, and is bound by Raymond Blvd., Mulberry St., Hill St., and Washington St. This is the commercial center of Newark and contains various skyscrapers as well as a variety of theaters. The two tallest buildings are the Newark National Building and the Lefcourt Building. Most of the contributing buildings within the district were built between 1870 and 1930. Many of the buildings are included in the National Register of Historic Places.

PhysicalObject Item Type Metadata

State

extant

Condition History

The district continues to develop, most recently with the Four Corners Millennium Project by the RBH Group. This project includes the development of seven mixed use residential, hotel, office, and retail buildings, as well as the preservation of historic features of the district.

Bibliography

Gordon, Mark W., and Anthony Schuman, editors. Newark Landmark Treasures: A Guide to the Landmark Buildings, Parks, Public Art & Historic Districts in New Jersey’s Metropolis. Newark Preservation and Landmarks Committee, 2016, p. 83-84.

National Register of Historic Places, Four Corners Historic District, Newark, Essex County, New Jersey, National Register #00001061


Collection

Related Entries

Item Relations

Item: 186-198 Halsey Street Is Part Of This Item
Item: 89-91 Market Street Is Part Of This Item
Item: 210 Market Street Is Part Of This Item
Item: Hotel Douglas Is Part Of This Item
Item: Chamber of Commerce (Former) Is Part Of This Item
Item: 787 Broad Street Is Part Of This Item
Item: 60 Branford Place Is Part Of This Item
Item: 18 Beaver Street Is Part Of This Item
Item: 9-13 Hill Street Is Part Of This Item
Item: E. Heyman Building Is Part Of This Item

Geolocation