E. Heyman Building


Dublin Core

Title

E. Heyman Building

Description

"59-61 Market Street, the "E. Heyman Building," is a three bay, six story, brick-faced, rectangular plan, classicizing/vernacular, commercial building, constructed in 1924. The first two stories have been completely obscured by applied replacement materials. The five story body of the building, articulated by vertical masonry strips, is separated from the single story attic by a rope-like string course. Simple ornamentation includes shield motifs, geometrically relieved terra cotta spandrel panels, and a bracket and modillion-supported cornice. A parapet with the inscription "E. Heyman" crowns the building. This building forms the western end of the Market Street commercial area, and as such, is an integral member of the Four Corner Historic District. It is related to nearby structures on Market Street in scale, approximate age, function and stylistic influence."

Description from:
United States Department of the Interior National Park Service. (2000). National Register of Historic Places Registration Form, Four Comers Historic District, Newark, Essex County, New Jersey (NPS Form 10-900).

Date

1924

Relation

PhysicalObject Item Type Metadata

State

extant

Collection

Related Entries

Item Relations

This Item Is Part Of Item: Four Corners Historic District

Geolocation