Hotel Douglas


Dublin Core

Title

Hotel Douglas

Description

"15-21 Hill Street, the former Hotel Douglas, is a sixteen story, nine bay, rectangular plan, orange brick and terra cottafaced, commercial hotel. The Art Deco-influenced facade is divided into two horizontal and three vertical sections. The first and second stories are predominantly terra cotta, with display windows flanking a canopied central door. The vertical brick members of the body begin at a first floor terra cotta cornice in the central bays and a similar second floor cornice in the flanking bays. A variety of stylized organic and geometric terra cotta relief ornament separates the windows. Beginning at the twelfth floor, a series of successive setbacks creates an early twentieth-century skyscraper silhouette. Built in 1923, this example of Art Deco-influenced architecture characterized by terra cotta relief ornament, is related in stylistic influence and the use of building materials to the adjacent 11 Hill Street. The former hotel was designed by local architect William E. Lehman. The building is now a senior citizens' residence owned by New Community Corporation"

Description from:
United States Department of the Interior National Park Service. (2000). National Register of Historic Places Registration Form, Four Comers Historic District, Newark, Essex County, New Jersey (NPS Form 10-900).

Date

1923

Relation

PhysicalObject Item Type Metadata

State

extant

Style

Art Deco

Collection

Related Entries

Item Relations

This Item Is Part Of Item: Four Corners Historic District