Military Park Commons Historic District


Dublin Core

Title

Military Park Commons Historic District

Description

The Military Park Commons Historic District takes up about 11 blocks and is roughly bound by Washington Place, McCarter Highway, Halsey Street, and Raymond Blvd. The district is mostly commercial and consists of 69 primary buildings and 9 works of art, 8 of which are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. They building types vary, but were most generally constructed between 1870 and 1940 and are of masonry or brick. The district has two parks, Military Park and Monsignor Doane Park. Also within the bounds were various department stores and piano showrooms. This district is also home to NJPAC.

PhysicalObject Item Type Metadata

State

extant

Condition History

The district continues to be a commercial and cultural area, and is still being developed today.

Bibliography

Gordon, Mark W., and Anthony Schuman, editors. Newark Landmark Treasures: A Guide to the Landmark Buildings, Parks, Public Art & Historic Districts in New Jersey’s Metropolis. Newark Preservation and Landmarks Committee, 2016, p. 91-92.

National Register of Historic Places, Military Park Commons Historic District, Newark, Essex County, New Jersey, National Register #04000649


Collection

Related Entries

Item Relations

This item has no relations.

Geolocation