Lyons Farm Schoolhouse

Title

Lyons Farm Schoolhouse
Old Stone Schoolhouse

Creator

Date

1784

State

extant

Condition History

There was a previous schoolhouse located at Chancellor & Elizabeth Avenues, but was burned down in 1782. The schoolhouse that was rebuilt in 1984 is the one that stands today. It was used until 1902, and in 1938, the schoolhouse was moved to the Newark Museum garden with the help of the Works Progress Administration. The schoolhouse has recently been restored.

Bibliography

Gordon, Mark W., and Anthony Schuman, editors. Newark Landmark Treasures: A Guide to the Landmark Buildings, Parks, Public Art & Historic Districts in New Jersey’s Metropolis. Newark Preservation and Landmarks Committee, 2016, p. 26.

Historic American Buildings Survey. "Lyons Farm Schoolhouse, Chancellor & Elizabeth Avenues, Newark, Essex County, NJ." HABS NJ,7-NEARK,1-.

National Register of Historic Places, Lyons Farm Schoolhouse, Newark, Essex County, New Jersey.

Turner, Jean-Rae, and Richard T. Koles. Newark. Charleston, SC: Arcadia Pub., 1997.

Files

LyonsFarm_NRHP.pdf

Collection

Citation

unknown, “Lyons Farm Schoolhouse,” DANA, accessed May 30, 2024, https://dana.njit.edu/items/show/326.

Output Formats

Item Relations

This Item Is Part Of Item: Newark Museum
This Item Is Part Of Item: James Street Commons Historic District

Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /afs/cad.njit.edu/research/archlib/gervits/1/plugins/Carta/CartaPlugin.php on line 122

Document Viewer