Essex County Courthouse on Market Street 1837

Title

Essex County Courthouse on Market Street 1837

Description

In 1837, Philadelphia architect John Haviland designed this Egyptian style building to house the governments of both Essex County and the City of Newark. A decade later, the city government moved from building to building until present city hall was occupied in 1906. An earlier courthouse was destroyed by fire in 1836.

Date

1837

Contributor

Turner, J.-R., Koles, R. T., & Cummings, C. F.

Source

Turner, J.-R., Koles, R. T., & Cummings, C. F. (2003). Newark: The golden age. Great Britain: Arcadia Publishing.

View

exterior views

Files

Courthouse 1837-01.jpg

Collection

Citation

“Essex County Courthouse on Market Street 1837,” DANA, accessed July 25, 2024, https://dana.njit.edu/items/show/1052.

Output Formats


Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /afs/cad.njit.edu/research/archlib/gervits/1/plugins/Carta/CartaPlugin.php on line 122