St. James A.M.E. Church

Title

St. James A.M.E. Church

Description

The building was originally constructed as the High Street Presbyterian Church. In 1945, the building was sold to the St. James A.M.E. Church. It is one of the earliest works of John Welch and it was designed in the Gothic style, similar to the English decorative period (14th century). The west facade concentrates all focus on a tapering square tower surmounted by four pinnacles. Pointed arches dominate all elevations while the walls are constructed with brownstone in Flemish bond.

Date

1852

State

extant

Condition History

In the 1890s, a false transept was added by Carrere & Hastings. This addition is in fact a separate building.

Bibliography

Gordon, Mark W., and Anthony Schuman, editors. Newark Landmark Treasures: A Guide to the Landmark Buildings, Parks, Public Art & Historic Districts in New Jersey’s Metropolis. Newark Preservation and Landmarks Committee, 2016, p. 41.

National Register of Historic Places, St. James' A. M. E. Church, Newark, Essex County, New Jersey, National Register #72000787

Style

Gothic Revival

Files

James_AME_High_Court_Sts_jeh.jpg
njit-naa-2010-0038-a2.pdf

Collection

Citation

John Welch and Carrere & Hastings, “St. James A.M.E. Church,” DANA, accessed June 14, 2024, https://dana.njit.edu/items/show/381.

Output Formats

Item Relations

Item: John Welch creator of This Item

Geolocation


Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /afs/cad.njit.edu/research/archlib/gervits/1/plugins/Carta/CartaPlugin.php on line 122

Document Viewer