Symington House


Symington House
Trinity House
Continental House



The Symington house is the third oldest house in Newark. This building is a 3-story brick townhouse originally constructed as a rectory for adjacent Trinity Church, now known as Trinity and St. Philip’s Cathedral. It is the best remaining example in Newark of Federal architecture. Architecturally, the front façade has a finely detailed entrance porch with fluted columns and Corinthian capitals approached by brownstone steps.






Condition History

This house was originally a rectory for Trinity church. Reverend Matthew H. Henderson lived in this house for nearly 48 years, until 1865. When the house was bought by the Symington family in 1888, they began remodeling the interior, and built additions. Symington House was one of the many mansions lining the north side of Military Park in the early 1800s. With the development of downtown Newark, most of these mansions were demolished with the exception of Symington House and Ballantine House, the latter fronting Washington Park. In 1965, the house was purchased by the Continental Insurance Company. They allowed the Newark Tercentennial Committee to use the building as its headquarters for the city's 300th anniversary. At this time, restoration was done on the building.


Gordon, Mark W., and Anthony Schuman, editors. Newark Landmark Treasures: A Guide to the Landmark Buildings, Parks, Public Art & Historic Districts in New Jersey’s Metropolis. Newark Preservation and Landmarks Committee, 2016, p. 3.

National Register of Historic Places, Symington House, Newark, Essex County, New Jersey, National Register #79001487


Late Federal period


Related Entries

Item Relations

This item has no relations.


Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /afs/ on line 122