Newark Public Library at west park street

Title

Newark Public Library at west park street

Description

The Newark public library was founded in 1889, in a building on West Park Street. It developed from the old Newark Library Association formed in1845. It occupied library hall with the post office, the NJ Art Union, the NJ Historical Society, the NJ Natural History Society, and the YMCA and charged its subscribers $3 annually to borrow two book at a time. An 1884 state law permitted the establishment of free public libraries. In 1887, Newarkers approved a referendum establishing a library. This building was erected in 1901. It stood among mansions at 5 Washington street.

Date

1901

Contributor

Turner, J.-R., Koles, R. T., & Cummings, C. F.

Source

Turner, J.-R., Koles, R. T., & Cummings, C. F. (2003). Newark: The golden age. Great Britain: Arcadia Publishing.

View

exterior views

Files

Public Library 1901-01.jpg

Collection

Citation

“Newark Public Library at west park street,” DANA, accessed May 30, 2024, https://dana.njit.edu/items/show/1057.

Output Formats

Item Relations

This Item Is Part Of Item: Newark Public Library
Item: Newark Public Library at west park street 1941 Is Part Of This Item

Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /afs/cad.njit.edu/research/archlib/gervits/1/plugins/Carta/CartaPlugin.php on line 122