William H., Kirk


Title

William H., Kirk

Subject

Occupation

Architect and Builder

Biographical Text

He is listed as the builder on two churches erected in 1839 but is the architect of record for three Reformed Dutch churches in Essex county between 1848 and 1858. Kirk had a long career as a Newark-based architect, from at least the 1840s until the mid-1880s. He appears in Newark directories as early as 1844, as William H. Kirk & Co., in partnership evidently with a Thomas Kirkpatrick. The directories through 1858 describe his firm as " architects and builders in general." From 1859 through 1869 he had an office at 228 Market Street; from 1870 through 1884 at 286 Market Street. He also served as a state senator.

Works: Newark, Second Reformed • Belleville, Reformed Dutch Church at South River • Newark, North Reformed Dutch • Basking Ridge, First Presbyterian • Jersey City, Old Bergen Church

Related Entries

Item Relations

This Item creator of Item: North Reformed Church