McKim, Mead & White

Dublin Core


McKim, Mead & White


McKim, Mean & White was an American architectural firm formed in 1879 by Charles Follen McKim (1847-1909), William Rutherford Mead (1846-1928), and Stanford White (1853-1906). By the 1880's they were one of the leading proponents of classical revival as an expression of national architectural identity. Mead remained technically a part of the firm until his official retirement in 1919 (ULAN record).


formed in 1879

Organization Item Type Metadata


Triumvirate : McKim, Mead & White : art, architecture, scandal and class in America's Gilded Age / by Mosette Broderick.New York : Alfred A. Knopf, 2010.

The architecture of McKim, Mead & White, 1870-1920 : a building list / Leland M. Roth.New York : Garland Pub., 1978.

Biographical Text

In Newark:
Pennsylvania Railroad Station (1935)
R.Cumming House 368 Mt.Prospect st. ( Mrs.Alden Freeman monument (1915), competition entry for Newark Memorial Building (1916); competition entry for Prudential Insurance Company building (1890)


"McKim Mead and White Architectural Records Collection (ca. 1875-1950)." Newark Archives Project 7 December 2016.
McKim, Mead & White archive;
uide to the architectural record collection at the NY Historical Society Architectural Archives

Related Entries

Item Relations

This item has no relations.