Murphy Varnish Company


Dublin Core

Title

Murphy Varnish Company

Description

The factory complex was made up of six major buildings. The first five buildings, a two-story Italianate factory, three Richardsonian Romanesque buildings, and a Victorian firehouse, were built by architect James Lindsay. In 1905, a warehouse designed by Howard Chapman was added.

Date

1890

PhysicalObject Item Type Metadata

State

extant

Condition History

Of the six major buildings that existed at the peak of the Murphy Varnishing Company, 1890-1920, only 3 are extant, the original factory, the Firehouse, and the 1905 warehouse. The firehouse is still used by the city fire department.

Bibliography

Gordon, Mark W., and Anthony Schuman, editors. Newark Landmark Treasures: A Guide to the Landmark Buildings, Parks, Public Art & Historic Districts in New Jersey’s Metropolis. Newark Preservation and Landmarks Committee, 2016, p. 65.

National Register of Historic Places, Murphy Varnish Works, Newark, Essex County, New Jersey, National Register #79001484

Style

Italianate
Richardsonian Romanesque
Victorian

Collection

Related Entries

Item Relations

This item has no relations.

Geolocation