Indian and the Puritan


Title

Indian and the Puritan

Description

The Indian and the Puritan is a public sculpture designed by Gutzon Borglum and located in Washington Park. This monument consists of a bronze lamp standard with stylized cattails and marshmallows with symbolic references and two life-size marble statues of an Indian and a Puritan. The city of Newark commissioned this monument to commemorate the 250th anniversary of the founding of Newark. Two other monuments were commissioned for the same occasion: "First Landing Party of the Founders of Newark" and Branford
Place shaft.

Creator

Date

1900-1924

State

extant

Condition History

This monument was moved from its original location in the middle of the park to the tip of the park, facing the Newark Public Library.

Bibliography

"Borglum Statue Models on View." Newark Evening News, 11 March 1916: 4.

Cunningham, John T. Newark. Newark: New Jersey Historical
Society, 1966.

Gordon, Mark W., and Anthony Schuman, editors. Newark Landmark Treasures: A Guide to the Landmark Buildings, Parks, Public Art & Historic Districts in New Jersey’s Metropolis. Newark Preservation and Landmarks Committee, 2016, p. 54.

National Register of Historic Places, Indian and the Puritan, Newark, Essex County, New Jersey, National Register #94001256

"Shafts for Civic Monuments in Place." Newark Sunday Call, 24 September 1916: n.p.


Web Resources


Collection

Related Entries

Item Relations

This item has no relations.

Geolocation

Document Viewer