Military Park


Dublin Core

Title

Military Park

Subject

Description

Military Park is an obtuse triangular park that takes up 6 acres between Broad Street, Park Place, and Rector Street. It was originally named Middle Commons, and was first laid out by Robert Treat as a training ground, present on the first extant map of Newark from 1667. It consists of various monuments including "Wars of America" by Gutzon Borglum.

Date

1667

PhysicalObject Item Type Metadata

State

extant

Condition History

In 1960, an underground parking garage was added and as a result some statues were re-positioned and various kiosks were added. From 2013-2014 the park was renovated by Biederman Redevelopment Ventures.

Bibliography

"History of the Park." MilitaryPark.com, http://militarypark.com/historyofthepark/. Accessed 16 December 2016.

National Register of Historic Places, Military Park Commons Historic District, Newark, Essex County, New Jersey, National Register #04000649.

Nix, Naomi. "Military Park opens with music, politicians' praise." NJ.com, 13 June 2014, http://www.nj.com/essex/index.ssf/2014/06/military_park_opens_with_music_politicians_praise.html#incart_river_essex. Accessed 16 December 2016.

Collection

Related Entries

Item Relations

This Item isParentOf Item: Wars of America
Item: Wars of America Is Part Of This Item

Geolocation