Newark Public Library


Dublin Core

Title

Newark Public Library

Description

The main branch of the Newark Public Library system, designed by the firm of Rankin and Kellogg.

Date

1901

PhysicalObject Item Type Metadata

State

extant

Condition History

In 1922, a two story 15,000 square foot addition designed by the firm of John H. & Wilson C. Ely was completed. Two more additions were completed in 1931 and 1949, adding another 12,000 square feet. In 1952 and 1980, the library undertook modernization projects. Since then, several smaller renovations and restorations have taken place. For a complete architectural history of the library, see the NPL website.

Bibliography

"Competitive design for Public Library, Newark, NJ," American Architect and Building News 59. (March 19, 1898): 95, pl. 1160.

"Free Library, Newark, NJ", Architectural Record 12. (1902): 234.

Style

Beaux-Arts (style)
Renaissance Revival

Collection

Related Entries

Item Relations

This Item Is Referenced By Item: Free Library, Newark, NJ
Item: Wisdom Instructing the Children of Men Is Part Of This Item
Item: Rankin & Kellogg creator of This Item

Geolocation

Document Viewer