St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church


Title

St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church

Description

St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church was part of a complex that included a school and a rectory. The church was designed in a Gothic style by Jeremiah O'Rourke. The front facade displays characteristic Gothic elements such as ogee arches, buttresses, and lancet window. The walls are faced with brownstone and the roof is composed of slate tiles. The cathedral's tower lacks a spire. Built in 1871, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1980. Today it houses professional offices and several restaurants.

Date

1871-1880

State

extant

Condition History

After the post-war urban decline of Newark, the parishioner population for this church decreased significantly. In 1983, work began on the transformation of the church into the corporate headquarters of New Community Corporation. This complex consists of a central atrium surrounded by offices and The Priory Restaurant.

Bibliography

Gordon, Mark W., and Anthony Schuman, editors. Newark Landmark Treasures: A Guide to the Landmark Buildings, Parks, Public Art & Historic Districts in New Jersey’s Metropolis. Newark Preservation and Landmarks Committee, 2016, p. 48.

National Register of Historic Places, St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church Rectory and School, Newark, Essex County, New Jersey, National Register #72000792

Urquhart, Frank J. 
A Short History of Newark. Newark, N.J: Baker, 1908.

Style

Victorian Gothic

Collection

Related Entries

Item Relations

Item: Jeremiah O'Rourke creator of This Item

Geolocation

Document Viewer