Newark Female Charitable Society


Title

Newark Female Charitable Society
Newark Day Center

Description

The Newark Female Charitable Society used as its headquarters a three-story tall building located in Halsey Street. This structure was designed by R.H. Rowden, a local architect, in the Victorian Eclectic style with Romanesque features. The building is topped by a hip roof with a small gable in the main façade and tall chimneys on the sides. The predominant materials on the exterior, red brick and terracotta, define a Romanesque feel that is further accentuated by an articulated front entrance: a semi-circular arch resting on crocket capitals and pilasters. The arch is surmounted by a triangular pediment that bears this inscription: “Newark Female Charitable Society, organized in 1803.”

41 Hill Street is also a part of the Newark Female Charitable Society property. It is a three-story, red brick townhouse, which was purchased in 1912 to accommodate the expansion of the society's programming.

Creator

Date

1886

State

extant

Condition History

This building continues to serve its social function and has been renamed “Newark Day Center” which provides after-school programs, a senior center, a health clinic and community-oriented activities.

Bibliography

National Register of Historic Places, Newark Female Charitable Society, Newark, Essex County, New Jersey, National Register #79001485

Gordon, Mark W., and Anthony Schuman, editors. Newark Landmark Treasures: A Guide to the Landmark Buildings, Parks, Public Art & Historic Districts in New Jersey’s Metropolis. Newark Preservation and Landmarks Committee, 2016, p. 30.

Newark Female Charitable Society, (N.J.), and A. F. R., Mrs. Martin. "The History Of The Newark Female Charitable Society." (1903): HathiTrust. Web. 14 July 2016.


Style

Victorian Revival
Romanesque

Collection

Related Entries

Item Relations

Item: R.H. Rowden creator of This Item

Geolocation