Hahne & Company 19th century


Dublin Core

Title

Hahne & Company 19th century

Description

Hahne & Company was the oldest department store in Newark. It began operations in 1858, it began handling general merchandise in the 1870s. The Building pictured was opened on Labor Day 1901. Women who come to Newark with their carriages came to Hane’s to shop and have lunch. It was the last large department store to close in Newark. Today, after years of standing vacant it has been redeveloped as a mixed-used building with residential units.

Contributor

Turner, J.-R., Koles, R. T., & Cummings, C. F.

Source

Turner, J.-R., Koles, R. T., & Cummings, C. F. (2003). Newark: The golden age. Great Britain: Arcadia Publishing.

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Photo

Related Entries

Item Relations

This item has no relations.